Subject: [lojban] Re: open and save

From: "Chris Double" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:43:00 +1200

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:58:52 -0600, "Steven Belknap" <[email-masked]>
said:
> 
> Perhaps Maori does not have the concept of a file folder. Anybody who 
> lives in a modern industrial state must deal with files.
> 

Maori being an official language of New Zealand, alongside Englush, I
suspect it does have the concept of a file folder. Consider that the
subject of computing has been taught fully in the Maori language [1].

An online translation service [2] gives the following possible Maori
equivalents of file:

file The documents are collated and kept on file. 
konae korero I wehewehea nga pukapuka ka puritia i o ratau konae korero
tika. 

file Have you filed that copy of the report? 
raupapa(tia) Kua raupapatia e koe taua kape o te ripoata? 

How do other languages translate the concepts of 'file', etc in computer
terms?

[1] http://www.waikato.ac.nz/smpd/tetaka/TLDUconf.html
[2] http://www.learningmedia.co.nz/ngata/index.html

Chris.
-- 
http://www.double.co.nz/lojban
-- 
Chris Double
[email-masked]