Subject: [lojban] Re: open and save

From: Theodore Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 06:33:14 -0800

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:58:52 -0600
Steven Belknap <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > And dacru isn't a file in that sense anyways, it's a drawer. A
> > *physical* drawer. A *sliding* *compartment*, for crying out loud.
> 
> On my Mac there is a *sliding drawer* which I click on to see my files

Yes, and that is analogous to what is called either "directory" (which I
believe is the term on the Mac, too) or "folder". These are things which
contain files. The analogy works.

> of email messages. Not all physical file holders are sliding 
> compartments. My reading of the definition is that the brackets around
> 
> "sliding compartment" denote a typical instance of a <dacru>, but do 
> not necessarily restrict the meaning of the word to physical drawers 
> with sliding compartments.

I think it refers to a "file" as in a filing cabinet. From what I
understand, this use of "file" is regional, and not to be mistaken for
the usage which made its way into computer parlance.

> dacru dac drawer x1 is a drawer/file in structure x2, a [sliding 
> compartment] container for contents x3
-- 
Theodore Reed (rizen/bancus) -==- http://www.surreality.us/
~OpenPGP Signed/Encrypted Mail Preferred; Finger me for my public key!~

"Be careful when you wrestle with monsters, lest you thereby become one.
For, if you stare long into the abyss, the abyss also stares into you."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche