Subject: Re: open and save

From: "jjllambias2000 <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 14:46:54 -0000

la jimc cusku di'e

> I can understand Steven's point about "record": in many but far 
from all
> files, the file contains an organized sequence of sub-files, called
> "records" in English, each of which give a variety of data about one
> subject x3. I looked for good gismu for "stanza" or "segment" (as 
in a
> millipede or annelid worm) but didn't get a good word to make a 
lujvo
> from; pagbu "part" is the best of a bad lot, not implying 
uniformity of the
> segments.

Perhaps a generalized {panlo} can serve for uniform segments.

> Returning to the original question, I think kargau (kalri gasnu, 
open) and
> ga'ogau (ganlo gasnu, close) are reasonable for use with files and 
other
> containers. However, the definition is "x1 
(portal/passage/entrance-way)
> is open/closed [not] permitting passage/access to x2 by x3", and 
you have
> to metaphorically stretch a bit to relate this definition 
to "opening" a
> book-type object, which everts the entire content, or 
even "opening" a wine
> bottle (which at least has a definite passageway to the interior, 
though x3
> does not traverse it).

Is x3 the wine or the person who opens the bottle? The wine
does traverse the opening.

mu'o mi'e xorxes