Subject: [lojban] Re: zoizoi

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:02:29 -0500

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 09:19, John Cowan wrote:
> Pierre Abbat scripsit:
> > How should the word breaking program handle such strings as:
> > /zoizoi.borZOI.zoi/
>
> This one is a valid zoi-quote, although I consider it poor Lojban style
> due to the embedded "ZOI". OTOH, I quite like the use of "zoi" as a
> delimiter word, and mention it in CLL.
>
> > /zoi.FLAluKAVbu.blableblibloblu.FLAluKAVbu./
>
> This is an error. After "zoi" the delimiter is "FLAlu", but then there is
> no pause, which is required by zoi-quote syntax. The pause between "zoi"
> and "FLAlu" is ignored.

The way I'm going to do it (after I have it lexing all words other than {zoi}, 
{fa'o}, and a few other specials) is as follows:
1. Mark at the piece after {zoi} as a delimiter.
2. Search all pieces after the delimiter for something which has a beginning 
matching the delimiter, ignoring capitalization and commas.
3. Mark all pieces between the delimiters as zoi-quoted stuff.
4. Break the piece containing the ending delimiter after the delimiter, if 
there is any more to it, and mark the ending piece as a delimiter.
5. Make sure that the delimiter is a single word.

I am currently starting the brivla-end-breaking routine, which is simpler than 
the brivla-start-breaking routine. This case, or actually a slight variant of 
it, tells me that the cmavo preceding a brivla have to be broken off before 
the brivla is broken from what follows it. Consider 
/zoiFLAluKAVbu.blableblibloblu.FLAluKAVbu./. If the part after the brivla is 
broken off before or at the same time as the part before it, this will be 
/zoi/ /FLAlu/ /KAVbu/ /blableblibloblu/ /FLAluKAVbu/ when the {zoi} is 
detected, and the lexer will erroneously call {kavbu blableblibloblu} the 
quote.

phma