Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: open and save

From: Bob LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:24:53 -0500

>I would vote for "vasru" since I perceive files as a kind of container, too.

I kind of agree, but a file is more simply a girzu of vreji or datni.

Nora comments that while we focus so closely on "file", we should also 
focus on "open" and "closed". First of all, these refer to the state: 
open=ajar, closed=shut, so you need to make the agentive result to use 
kalri or ganlo at all. But in addition there is no obvious passage or 
portal which is "open" or "closed" when a file is open or closed - the 
metaphor works ONLY if you stick consistently to the drawer metaphor, and 
then it doesn't work well (a drawer is probably "out" rather than "open" in 
Lojban, a box lid or cupboard door might be "open").

Sorry to make everyone's life more complicated %^)

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org