Subject: [lojban] Some comments on the FAQ

From: "Newton, Philip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:46:19 +0100

http://www.lojban.org/resources/faq.html

T2 claims that {ko bevri re spageti palta} could be mis-heard as {ko bevri
respa ge ti palta} -- but that would violate the stress rules of Lojban (not
to mention grammar -- can you have {ge} without {gi}?):

{ko bevri re spageti palta} has to be {ko BEvri re spaGEti PALta} while {ko
bevri respa ge ti palta} has to be either {ko BEvri REspa ge ti PALta} or
{ko BEvri REspa GE ti PALta}.

Specifically, {respa} has to be pronounced {REspa} but those two syllables
may not be stressed like that in the first example since, as I understand
it, cmavo before brivla may not be stressed -- {re spageti} can only be {re
spaGEti} and not {RE spaGEti} (though it could be {RE. spaGEti}).

And vlatai claims that {spageti} is a valid stage-4 fu'ivla (while not
recognising {djarspageti} as type-3 lujvo with short rafsi).

So I'm not sure that the example is that good. (I don't have a better one,
however. {pitsa} would be even worse since it's a valid gismu form. Not sure
whether there are any other good "quintessential examples", as the FAQ calls
it, of fu'ivla.)

T4: "[And Rosta ...] sometimes uses it the hopes" should probably be
"sometimes uses it *in* the hopes that ...".