Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: "x years ago"

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 02:39:33 -0500

At 07:36 PM 2/1/03 -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>On Saturday 01 February 2003 08:28, Theodore Reed wrote:
> > I've been trying all night to figure out how to specify an exact time in
> > the past, as in "X years ago, Y happened." Does anyone know how I could
> > translate this?
>
>pu le nanca be li xy.boi ybu fasnu

Before the X year period, Y happened

>or to be more precise
>pu le cabna ce'e le nanca be li xy.boi ybu fasnu

I'm not sure what this means.

One way to do it is to pattern after examples in section 25 of the tense 
chapter of CLL page 251, which explicit discusses location offsets, but 
time offsets work exactly the same way except using pu as the time 
direction instead of zu'a space direction. This allows the most 
flexibility, making it possible to express X years before event Y, Z happened.

Another way (my instinctive approach), patterned after page 222

mi co'a le ze'apu nanca be li xy. boi ybu fasnu

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org