Subject: Re: [lojban] "x years ago"

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 16:27:39 +0000

la bancus cusku di'e

>I've been trying all night to figure out how to specify an exact time in
>the past, as in "X years ago, Y happened." Does anyone know how I could
>translate this?

I use ZA for the magnitudes of displacement, so I would say:

ybu pu fasnu za lo nanca be li xy

CLL uses a special construction with termsets for this, but
in complicated cases it can lead to ambiguity.

{pu lo nanca be li xy} means "in the past of an x-year-long
period, but it doesn't say it's just before a very recent
x-year-long period. It could mean two years before an x-year-long
period that occured seven years ago, so that y happened x + 9
years ago.

However, the use of ZA to tag magnitudes is not standard. The
official prescripton says that ZA tags the origin of the
displacement, just like PU.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail