Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Lexing text with {fa'o} and {zoi} in it

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 12:18:18 -0500

At 09:26 PM 2/4/03 -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>On Tuesday 04 February 2003 15:48, Robert LeChevalier wrote:
> > At 06:48 AM 2/4/03 -0500, Pierre wrote:
> > >How would you lex the following?:
> >
> > My best guess, and I'm not using any algorithm per se.
> >
> > >/la xidEkel. rIrxe fa'o tIgri se li ni stIka lI te/
> >
> > # and abort processing at this point.
>
>valfendi currently outputs what you say (plus type-of-word annotations). 
>If it
>had fa'o-detection, it would lex it as /la xidEkel rIrxe fa'o tIgri
>selinistIkalIte/ with everything from /tIgri/ on resolved as foreign text.
>But the words after /fa'o/ are in fact /tIgris elinistI kalIte/, and if there
>were a Greek parser which saw an instruction to call the Lojban parser and
>then resume when the Lojban was finished, it would lose those three words,
>since the Lojban lexer cannot detect {fa'o} until it has read the end of the
>piece. That is why I think that {fa'o} should must be always followed by a
>pause: not because the algorithm can't lex it otherwise (it does, as well as
>lex some other illegally-pronounced phrases such as /kybuladjAn/) but because
>not putting a pause forces the algorithm to process text after the {fa'o}
>before it can detect the {fa'o}.

That seems to be a problem with Greek, which apparently does not require a 
pause after a non-Greek quote %^). Not our problem.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org