Subject: [lojban] Re: Language Names, please.

From: "Newton, Philip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:57:17 +0100

Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> Need to fill in the names for these languages in lojban for jbovlaste:

I suggest http://www.languages-in-languages.de.vu/ (a redirector, btw),
which uses Unicode to represent the names of languages.

(I'd look it up for you, but timwi runs his site on port 8989 which I can't
access through this firewall.)

> sk - Slovak - Slovencina
> sl - Slovenian - Slovenscina

I think the first needs a hachek on the c, and the second on both the s and
the c. That is,

sk - Slovak - Sloven&#269;ina
sl - Slovenian - Sloven&#353;&#269;ina

Based on vague recollection and the fact that Googling produces a fair
number of hits. (They could be in the wrong language, though, for example in
Czech talking about Slovak, or in Croatian talking about Slovenian, or
whatever. Better double-check.)

> vi - Vietnamese - Ti&ecirc;ng Vi&ecirc;t

I *think* this might be Ti&#7871;ng Vi&#7879;t instead (the first being "e
with circumflex and acute", the second being "e with circumflex and dot
below"), based on search results for "tie^'ng Vie^.t" in Google, which gets
quite a lot of hits. (That being the VIQR [Vietnamese Quoted-Readable]
representation, if I remember correctly.)

> uk - Ukrainian - 
> &#1059;&#1082;&#1088;&#1072;&#1085;&#1089;&#1100;&#1082;&#1072
> ; - vukro

I think this should be
&#1059;&#1082;&#1088;&#1072;&#1111;&#1085;&#1089;&#1100;&#1082;&#1072; ,
with an extra "yi" before the n. I'm pretty sure there's *some* vowel
missing ("Ukrans'ka" sounds implausible to me) but I'm not sure whether it's
i (&#1110;), yi (&#1111;), or y (&#1080;). [Hmm, based on googling again,
I'm pretty sure it's "Ukrayins'ka [mova]", i.e. with &#1111;.)

And I'm not sure whether it needs the separate "mova" afterwards (which
means "language") or whether "Ukrains'ka" is enough.

mu'omi'e filip.
[email copies appreciated, since I read the digest]
{ko fukpi mrilu fi mi ki'u le du'u mi te mrilu le notseljmaji}
-- 
filip.niutyn. <[email-masked]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.