Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Lexing text with {fa'o} and {zoi} in it

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 22:44:39 -0500

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 06:48, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Monday 03 February 2003 22:19, Robert LeChevalier wrote:
> > At 06:04 PM 2/3/03 -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > > > > According to 19:10, if {le'u} appears in a {zoi} quotation which is
> > > > > inside a {lo'u} quotation, the {lo'u} quotation is prematurely
> > > > > terminated.
> >
> > Not really following this, but since lo'u/le'u incorporates only Lojban
> > text, there shouldn't be any zoi quotes inside of the lo'u/le'u.
>
> 19.10.5: (A minor note on interaction between ``lo'u ... le'u'' and
> ``zoi'': The text between ``lo'u'' and ``le'u'' should consist of Lojban
> words only. In fact, non-Lojban material in the form of a ``zoi'' quotation
> may also appear. However, if the word ``le'u'' is used either as the
> delimiting word for the ``zoi'' quotation, or within the quotation itself,
> the outer ``lo'u'' quotation will be prematurely terminated. Therefore,
> ``le'u'' should be avoided as the delimiting word in any ``zoi''
> quotation.)

This is contradicted by the filtering rules in the formal grammar:

a. If the Lojban word ``zoi'' (selma'o ZOI) is identified, take the following 
Lojban word (which should be end delimited with a pause for separation from 
the following non-Lojban text) as an opening delimiter. Treat all text 
following that delimiter, until that delimiter recurs *after a pause*, as 
grammatically a single token (labelled 'anything_699' in this grammar). There 
is no need for processing within this text except as necessary to find the 
closing delimiter. 

b. If the Lojban word ``zo'' (selma'o ZO) is identified, treat the following 
Lojban word as a token labelled 'any_word_698', instead of lexing it by its 
normal grammatical function. 

c. If the Lojban word ``lo'u'' (selma'o LOhU) is identified, search for the 
closing delimiter ``le'u'' (selma'o LEhU), ignoring any such closing 
delimiters absorbed by the previous two steps. The text between the 
delimiters should be treated as the single token 'any_words_697'. 

Step a should also look for "la'o", which is in the same selma'o.

phma