Subject: Nick will be with you shortly

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:13:50 +1100

1. I've been sidetracked in many different directions this past couple 
of months, and this more or less will continue through this week. (I'm 
currently proofreading the second proofs of my mundane book.) Expect me 
to reemerge here next week.

2. Infrastructure for BPFK is now mostly in place, and waiting for me 
to get time to look over it (kudos &c to Robin, He Who Gets Things 
Done), and flick the switch.

3. Still have no firm commitment on collectors of corpora; I'll renew 
the call next week.

4. November through January were full time jboske for me; the issue of 
what to do with gadri is so unsettled in existing Lojban, and so 
pressing in my view for the language, that I was willing to stake my 
future involvement in Lojban on it. I don't yet have a formal solution 
reconciling the requirements brought up on jboske with standard Lojban; 
but I know enough of what it will look like that I feel I can resume 
work on Lojban in good conscience.

As BPFKJ ("Rexfelis"), I will not compel anyone to read jboske; it is 
hard, and hard for a reason. I also am well aware that jboske is not 
the forum where any issues shall be decided. But I'm notifying BPFK 
members here that proposals *will* come to the BPFK from jboske; that 
the jboske participants are thinking thoroughly about issues of import 
to the language definition; and while they will not always have my 
agreement (to the extent that I am distinct from them), they have my 
respect. I reject any claim, therefore, that issues to be brought up to 
the BPFK should not also be discussed on jboske. If you don't want to 
follow jboske discussions, you'll get your chance to evaluate any 
proposals when they're ready for the BPFK forum. The decisions will be 
taken there, not in jboske; and that is a statement I will be held to.

But I remind you that the BPFK fora are not intended for open-ended, 
drawn out discussion of these issues. That is, in fact, what jboske is 
for. (jboske is *not* the exclusive forum of schismatics, or 
Academians, or whatever the bogeyman of the day is.)

And trust me. The issue of what {loi} means was impossible enough to 
follow with 3 people participating. Throwing it open on the BPFK forum 
in December, for 13 people, would have been a sure way to destroy the 
BPFK. The BPFK will start up slow, working on tractable issues, and 
gradually build its way up.

OK, more next week.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
^^
Dr Nick Nicholas, French & Italian, [email-masked]
Melbourne Uni,, Australia http://www.opoudjis.net
"Despite millions of dollars of research, death continues to be this
nation's number one killer." --- Henry Gibson, Kentucky Fried Movie.
________________________________________________________________________ 
__