Subject: [lojban] Re: species in jbovlaste

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:32:22 +0100

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 22:51, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:03:06PM +0100, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > There are going to be thousands of brivla whose x2 is a species of
> > something. (I just added two.) How should these be handled?
>
> I don't think I understand the question. You seem to have already
> figured out how to add the words, so...

Should x2 be "species" or "species of gambier/peacock/walrus" or 
"gambier/peacock/walrus species" or omitted? Putting "species" will result in 
a definition for "species" that's at least a dozen pages; putting "gambier 
etc. species" will result in lots of extra entries; omitting them means that 
all dictionary users will have to know that all animal, plant, and fungus 
names have the species as x2.

My opinion is that it should be omitted except for higher taxa and 
sheep-eating tigers. Anyone who's been in Bertcad Mivdal knows that x2 of an 
animal is its species.

phma

-- 
.i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do
.ibabo damba do .ibabo do jinga
.icu'u la ma'atman.