Subject: [lojban] Re: species in jbovlaste

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:34:55 -0800

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:32:22PM +0100, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 22:51, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:03:06PM +0100, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > > There are going to be thousands of brivla whose x2 is a species of
> > > something. (I just added two.) How should these be handled?
> >
> > I don't think I understand the question. You seem to have already
> > figured out how to add the words, so...
> 
> Should x2 be "species" or "species of gambier/peacock/walrus" or
> "gambier/peacock/walrus species" or omitted? Putting "species" will
> result in a definition for "species" that's at least a dozen pages;
> putting "gambier etc. species" will result in lots of extra entries;
> omitting them means that all dictionary users will have to know that
> all animal, plant, and fungus names have the species as x2.

You mean what should the gloss word for the x2 place be, right?

> My opinion is that it should be omitted except for higher taxa and
> sheep-eating tigers. Anyone who's been in Bertcad Mivdal knows that x2
> of an animal is its species.

I'm inclined to agree, even though I don't know what Bertcad Midval is.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi