Subject: [lojban] Re: Nick will be with you shortly

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:59:51 -0500 (EST)

Jordan DeLong scripsit:

> > > There is no problem with loi.
> > 
> > Since more than one competent lojbanist disagrees with you, you are
> > prima facia wrong, even if all your points are correct.
> 
> Huh? This is a fallacy (argumentum ad populum). Statements have
> a particular truth value regardless of what we believe about them.

Unless the statements are about beliefs, as this one is. You said in
effect that the use of "loi" was uncontroversial; since other people say
it is controversial, it *is* controversial.

-- 
John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan [email-masked]
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There
are no words left to express his staggerment, since Men changed the language
that they learned of elves in the days when all the world was wonderful.
--_The Hobbit_