Subject: [lojban] Any (was: Nick will be with you shortly)

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:03:21 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Nick Nicholas wrote:

> The Any problem (how to say Any shark as distinct from A shark in the
> completely general case) admits of several solutions, none perfect,
> although we're now putting more thought into it; when we go into
> non-existing entities, we add something like {tu'o lo se ka co'e} or
> something (to be thrashed out), as distinct from {lo co'e} (which
> commits to existence of the referent; And, this was the coup John and I
> pulled on you in NYC.)

If you're not worried about stating the existence of the thing, lo is just
fine for "any". This is true in the cases of doctors and boxes. If you
slaughter all doctors and crush all boxes, you win, I'm wrong. I suppose
da'icu'i can be used to relieve the pressure of making an existence claim.
And lo jai ka is just like lo except that it might not assert existence of
the thing. (jaika is preferable to seka only because ka doesn't have an
official 2nd place.)

-- 
What would Jesus bomb?