Subject: [lojban] Re: Any (was: Nick will be with you shortly)

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:29:42 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Jordan DeLong wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 03:03:21PM -0500, Invent Yourself wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Nick Nicholas wrote:
> > > The Any problem (how to say Any shark as distinct from A shark in the
> > > completely general case) admits of several solutions, none perfect,
> > > although we're now putting more thought into it; when we go into
> > > non-existing entities, we add something like {tu'o lo se ka co'e} or
> > > something (to be thrashed out), as distinct from {lo co'e} (which
> > > commits to existence of the referent; And, this was the coup John and I
> > > pulled on you in NYC.)
> >
> > If you're not worried about stating the existence of the thing, lo is just
> > fine for "any". This is true in the cases of doctors and boxes. If you
> > slaughter all doctors and crush all boxes, you win, I'm wrong. I suppose
> [...]
>
> But "mi djica lo mikce" is true under different circumstances than
> "mi djica <any> mikce". It's clearer if you translate to english;
> the first: There is a doctor (some doctors) that I need.

But since you do not have a particular doctor in mind (since you used lo
and not le!) then any doctor will do. At least, you asked for any doctor.
Altering the claim later, by rejecting a provided doctor, is a
re-statement of the issue and not my problem.

-- 
What would Jesus bomb?