Subject: [lojban] Re: Any (was: Nick will be with you shortly)

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:27:10 -0500

>> >> >> So, you think da is specific, do you? I can't work with you.
>> >> >> Carry on.
>> >>
>> >> >Straight out of the book:
>> >>
>> >> >4.2) da poi prenu zo'u da viska la djim.
>> >> > There-is-an-X which is-a-person : X sees Jim.
>> >> > Someone sees Jim.
>> >>
>> >> But if you ask for da poi prenu zo'u da viska la djim to become
>> >> true, you won't care who sees Jim, right?
>>
>> >Tell me how to ask for that in lojban, and I'll see about answering
>> >the question.
>>
>> .i bai ko le du'u da poi prenu zo'u da la djim viska ku cu jetnu

>That isn't a question, that's a command.

In my indolect, at least, 'ask for' implies a polite command. Lojban
commands are not inherently impolite, so any command will do. The idea is
like English 'would you have someone see Jim?' - but in Lojban that is not
phrased as a question.

>If I were to execute said command, then yes, I would assume that any
>prenu would do. However, I wouldn't be completely surprised if the
>commander turned out to have a different se jetnu in mind.

>Note, however, that the original discussion was about nitcu, with the x3
>unspecified. That makes *all* the difference to me.

Therefore the scope of da is limited to the mikce that are acceptable with
your ternitcu. However, you do not explain why the unspecified ternitcu
makes the difference from 'any doctor' to 'the doctor I have in mind'.

>> Easy even for us relative beginners.

>Sorry, I meant I wanted to see exactly how you phrased it.

Any command form of da poi prenu zo'u da viska la djim would be acceptable.
I'd also consider an unmodified statement preceded by doi ko, but I'm not
sure if that would be sufficient.