Subject: [lojban] Re: ma cmene le cmana

From: "Newton, Philip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:45:05 +0100

coi .jexOm. do cusku di'e
> mi nelci lezu'o mi cusku lo'u ma cmene le cmana le'u
> .i ta'o le cmana se cmene la labma'a noi se cmene zoi my. Mont-Blanc 
> .my. bau la fraso ku'o

You need an extra {cu} in there: {le cmana *cu* se cmene zo labma'a}.

Also, I'm pretty certain it has to be {zo labma'a} and not {la labma'a}
because {la labma'a} is "the thing called <<labma'a>>"... and that is not a
name; it's a thing. (Consider the knight's song from _Alice_.)

What I'm not sure about is whether {la labma'a noi se cmene ...} makes sense
-- it sounds to me as if you're saying "By the way, the mountain is called
"Labma'a", and "Labma'a" is called "Mont-Blanc" in French", which is wrong
-- the *mountain* is called "Mont-Blanc" in French, not the *name*
"labma'a". (Again, consider the knight's song... "the name of this song is
called X", etc.)

mu'o mi'e .filip.
[email copies appreciated, since I read the digest]
{ko fukpi mrilu fi mi ki'u le du'u mi te mrilu le notseljmaji}
-- 
filip.niutyn. <[email-masked]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.