Subject: RE: [lojban] gismu etemology

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:03:32 +0000

la kreig cusku di'e

>http://www.lojban.org/files/etymology/finprims
>
>This puzzles me. The Spanish glosses are sometimes really weird. eg,
>pont - puente
>kord - cuerda
>port - puerta
>
>This 'ue' does represent an original /O/, but it contrasts with /o/. It is
>also not pronounced o anywhere, except maybe portugal - and that is
>generally not thought of as the same language. What happened?

I think the "Spanish" etymologies were a blend of Spanish and
Portuguese, but I don't know whether Portuguese speakers were
added for weighting purposes.

Funny that in the case of "puente" the resulting word, {cripu},
does not contribute any points, but is easier for Spanish
speakers to associate with "puente" than {cripo} would be.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail