Subject: Any

From: "G. Dyke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:01:47 +0100

I have two possible solutions to the problem of saying:

"I need a doctor" (ie any doctor will do)

(1){mi nitcu lu'a lo'i mikce}

or

(2){lo se nitcu be mi cu mikce}

I think these both work but set out to solve different problems.

(1) says "take the set of doctors, I need a member of that set". ta'o This
is also the way I would solve "Someone feed the cat": {lu'a ro ko <feed> le
mlatu}

(2) arises from another concern. I'm wondering whether it would work
differently if da is scoped as being a {se nitcu}. It only works if the
following are not equivalent:

mi nitcu da poi mikce
da poi se nitcu be mi cu mikce
da se nitcu be mi gi'e mikce

btw I assume:
mi nitcu da poi mikce = da poi mikce zo'u mi nitcu da = mi nitcu lo mikce

What do you think?

Greg
--
http://www.myepfl.ch/gregory.dyke
e'osai ko sarji la lojban - www.lojban.org

"That man is such an ignoramus, Father." [...]
"Stand inside his soul and see the world through his eyes. You will feel the
pain he feels because of his ignorance, and you will not laugh."
-- Chaim Potok, "The Chosen"