Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: The Any thread

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:38:41 -0500 (EST)

Craig scripsit:

> But, doctors do exist, and if they didn't there wouldn't be one I don't
> need. And claims that the existence of a specific doctor that I don't need
> falsifies my reading of "mi nitcu lo mikce", but I claim the existence of a
> specific doctor that I do need would falsify it, and e is just
> misinterpreting.

The existence of one or more doctors that fail the need test ("need not"
is not a negation of "need" in English, leading to still more confusion)
*does* falsify "mi nitcu lo mikce", which is good evidence that it does
not translate "I need a doctor, any doctor", but rather means "There
is/are doctor(s) that I need."

-- 
XQuery Blueberry DOM John Cowan
Entity parser dot-com [email-masked]
Abstract schemata http://www.reutershealth.com
XPointer errata http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Infoset Unicode BOM --Richard Tobin