Subject: [lojban] Re: The Any thread

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:43:18 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, John Cowan wrote:

> Craig scripsit:
>
> > But, doctors do exist, and if they didn't there wouldn't be one I don't
> > need. And claims that the existence of a specific doctor that I don't need
> > falsifies my reading of "mi nitcu lo mikce", but I claim the existence of a
> > specific doctor that I do need would falsify it, and e is just
> > misinterpreting.
>
> The existence of one or more doctors that fail the need test ("need not"
> is not a negation of "need" in English, leading to still more confusion)
> *does* falsify "mi nitcu lo mikce", which is good evidence that it does
> not translate "I need a doctor, any doctor", but rather means "There
> is/are doctor(s) that I need."

Will you explain, though, under what definition of "not specific" or "not
in-mind" do you use to restrict lo mikce beyond any doctor?

-- 
What would Jesus bomb?