Subject: [lojban] Re: The Any thread

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 03:46:08 -0000

Craig:
> >whereas "I need a book" (on the so-called ANY/'opaque' reading)
> >IS falsified by "There is a (real or imaginary) book that I don't need"
>
> Umm... no. "I need a doctor." I have a need which will be filled if I am
> attended to by Dr. Foo. However, I could equally well accept the services of
> Dr. Bar, so I don't actually need Dr. Foo. I need a doctor, according to my
> view of lo, is "mi nitcu lo mikce". However, "zasti falo mikce poi mi ke'a
> na nitcu" is still true - I don't actually need Dr. Foo since Dr. Bar can
> treat me

Rephrase what I said to:

whereas "I need a book" (on the so-called ANY/'opaque' reading)
IS falsified by "There is a (real or imaginary) book does not
satisfy my need"

and my point will be made more clearly.

As I said in an earlier message, your claim that "I need a doctor" is "mi nitcu
lo mikce" is wrong, to the extent that the mapping from simple
Lojban bridi to logical formulas is uncontroversial. However, I do not
claim that that mapping is uncontroversial. All the same, as I said in
my earlier message, if the controvery were officially resolved, I am
confident that (for the sake of consistency) it would be resolved in
such a way as to make "mi nitcu lo mikce" mean "there is a doctor that
satisfies my need".

--And.