Subject: [lojban] Re: defining and examples in jbovlaste

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:49:56 -0800

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 01:43:10AM -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> I found a word which I used in the Nepali regicide article:
> "seltrucerda". This can be translated as "crown prince(ss)" or
> "inherits the throne". Which should I put in the place structure
> keywords on jbovlaste, and what should go in x2?

That depends; what's the place structure of the word as you're defining
it?

In general, there should be at least one keyword for the word as a whole
(the gloss word), and a keyword for each place, one per line in the
place keywords box. If the meaning of a particular natlang word is
constrained (i.e. "bear in the sense of carry"), you put the meaning
after a semicolon, i.e. "bear;carry".

If that doesn't answer your question, please let me know: the results of
our discussion here will be placed in the help in the next version.

Note that I'm hoping to obviate the need for all the semicolon malkalci
before version 1.0.

> The sentence in which the word appears is "ca le prula'i jimdei ku la
> birendras. bir. bikram. noi noltrunau .e la .aicuarias noi noltruni'u
> .e drata se lanzu cu te facki le za'i morsi .ije la dipendras. noi
> seltrucerda cu tolsanji". How much should I give as an example? 

I'd probably just give the last bit.

> Since in this sentence it has only one sumti, should I add one in
> which it has all four?

Seems like a good idea. Nothing wrong with multiple examples.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi