Subject: [lojban] Re: The Any thread

From: Steven Belknap <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 05:28:51 -0600

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 05:02 PM, John Cowan wrote:

> Invent Yourself scripsit:
>
>>> There is none. But I can need a doctor even if there are no doctors,
>>> whereas "mi nitcu lo mikce" is false if there are no doctors.
>>
>> Let's assume there are doctors. Now does it work?
>
> I think so, but I may be muddled. "I need any doctor" is just not a 
> very
> intuitive sentence for me.

This apparently clear example seems contaminated by idiom and negation 
issues which don't seem to me to have much to do with the issue of 
translating the word "any" into lojban.

For example: "I don't need any DOCTOR to tell me that I need more 
exercise."

-Steven