Subject: [lojban] Re: ntc in cmene

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 21:02:54 -0500

On Friday 07 March 2003 20:35, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 08:33:36PM -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > I also put the ala'um test in the validation routine instead of the
> > lexer. If you type "la ala'um" in standard mode, it lexes it as "la
> > ala'um" and then calls "ala'um" invalid.
>
> For those of us who haven't really been paying attention, what's the
> ala'um test?

An alternative test of the validity of cmene, which is simpler to implement 
even though it sounds more complicated. According to the ala'um rule, an 
occurrence of "la", "lai", "la'i", or "doi" in a string of letters ending in 
a consonant is broken off if and only if it is immediately preceded by a 
vowel or is at the beginning of the string and it is immediately followed by 
a consonant. Thus "ala'um" (a proposed lojbanization of the Arabic word for 
God) and "laus" (a country near Cambodia) are valid. By the standard test 
they are invalid, but "laus" gives problems if you try to lex it by splitting 
the "la" off as that results in "la us", which is valid but different.

phma

-- 
.i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do
.ibabo damba do .ibabo do jinga
.icu'u la ma'atman.