Subject: [lojban] Re: Another major jbovlaste update.

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:20:27 -0500

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 13:37, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 07:10:44AM -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > I don't think it's wrong to have "butter source" in the dictionary,
> > but a lot of the definitions of attitudinals are wrong. {ii}, for
> > instance, should not be translated "fear". It's something you say when
> > you're afraid, not something you say to talk about fear. Similarly,
> > cruelty is kamkusru, not uunai.
>
> So what would you use instead?

Hard to say, as English doesn't have much of an attitudinal system. Maybe 
"cruelty;attitudinal"? Hopefully that'll keep people from using the 
attitudinal to translate a noun.

For those languages that do have attitudinals (I remember reading about Lisu, 
or Kachin, or Wa, or some other language in that area), we should translate 
attitudinals as such. Also an interjection can be translated as any of 
several attitudinals, and those should be listed.

phma
-- 
.i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do
.ibabo damba do .ibabo do jinga