Subject: [lojban] Re: Another major jbovlaste update.

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:45:53 -0500

>> > I don't think it's wrong to have "butter source" in the dictionary,
>> > but a lot of the definitions of attitudinals are wrong. {ii}, for
>> > instance, should not be translated "fear". It's something you say when
>> > you're afraid, not something you say to talk about fear. Similarly,
>> > cruelty is kamkusru, not uunai.
>>
>> So what would you use instead?

>Hard to say, as English doesn't have much of an attitudinal system. Maybe
>"cruelty;attitudinal"? Hopefully that'll keep people from using the
>attitudinal to translate a noun.

There are two types of people relevant here: Those who know enough Lojban to
recognize that uunai is a cmavo compound and thus must be an attitudinal
indicating the cruelty, and those who don't know enough Lojban to get any
benefit from a jbovlaste-like system. That is to say, if you would use cmavo
to translate nouns, you aren't going to be producing a good translation with
jbovlaste anyway. Jbovlaste is NOT a substitute for learning the language,
and should not be designed to cater to those who may use it as one.