Subject: [lojban] Re: Suggestions Sought: NORALUJV and jbovlaste

From: Arnt Richard Johansen <[email-masked]>

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> NORALUJV cannot usefully be loaded into jbovlaste, because the
> definition format in no way resembles the lojbanic standard.  For
> example:
>
> fazyta'a                annoy+talk
> fanza+tavla:  chatter:   x1 = tavla1 (talk) = fanza 1 (pest), x2 = tavla2
> (talked to), x3 = tavla3 (talk subject), x4 = tavla4 (talk language), x5
> =
> fanza2 (annoyed)
>
> So, I'm seeking advice on ways to make this easier. 
>
> Possible Options:

Other options, in ascending order of manularity:

1. The lujvo list is imported into Jbovlaste as-is, except that the place
structure is reduced into gismu abbreviations. For the example above, this
would yield the definition "chatter: $t_1=f_1$ $t_2$ $t_3$ $t_5$ $f_2$"
This is what was done in Veijo's 1993 TeX dictionary, and is IMHO
perfectly understandable for most lojbanists. The downside of choosing
this solution is that all the lujvo from NORALUJV.TXT, which will be the
majority, will appear less clearly defined than those newly entered into
Jbovlaste. But, confusing entries could easily be changed to the newer,
verbose place definition format just by entering an alternative definition
and having it voted on.

2. The lujvo definition is constructed algorithmically on the basis of the
place definitions in the gismu list. For the example above, this would
yield the definition "$t_1=f_1$ is chatter to $t_2$ about subject $t_3$ in
language $t_4$ $f_2$" This would need a lot of cleaning up afterwards, but
it would work out-of-the-box for many, if not most, lujvo. I think I could
check and rewrite maybe 50 - 100 such entries if they were in a flat file;
slightly less so if in a web interface.

3. All the words and gloss words from NORALUJV.TXT are auto-entered, but
with the definition field left blank. If some dedicated soul(s) find that
any of them are inadequate, they can write their own (verbose)
definitions from NORALUJV.TXT, which will supersede the official entry
when voted on.

-- 
Arnt Richard Johansen http://arj.nvg.org/
Jeg er nok verdens sydligste sengevæter. Forutsatt at ingen på basen på
Sydpolen driver med slikt, da. --Erling Kagge: Alene til Sydpolen