Subject: [lojban] Re: Suggestions Sought: NORALUJV and jbovlaste

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:09:54 -0500 (EST)

Robin Lee Powell scripsit:

> > > fazyta'a annoy+talk
> > > fanza+tavla: chatter: x1 = tavla1 (talk) = fanza 1 (pest), x2 =
> > > tavla2 (talked to), x3 = tavla3 (talk subject), x4 = tavla4 (talk
> > > language), x5 = fanza2 (annoyed)
> OK, we're obviously talking about different standards.
> 
> x1 is a chatterer who chatters at x2 about x3 in language x4

Oh, I understand. In that case, you want to use the stuff in the parens
to generate this:

x1 is a talk/pest with talked-to x2 with talk-subject x3
with talk-language x4 with annoyed x5

This is not totally smooth English, but it is a mere matter of copy-editing
to make it so. Break the place structure at the commas, use regular
expressions to extract the useful stuff, and assemble it according to
the template "x1 is a ... with ... x2 with ... x3 with ..." etc. etc.
It would be an easy hack to change the third word to "an" appropriately.

> And, by the way, fanza2 is clearly x2 of fazyta'a (i.e. equal to
> tavla2), not x5.

Quite right. That sort of semantic error *has* to be corrected by a human
being, of course.

-- 
"Do I contradict myself? John Cowan
Very well then, I contradict myself. [email-masked]
I am large, I contain multitudes. http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
--Walt Whitman, _Leaves of Grass_ http://www.reutershealth.com