Subject: [lojban] Re: spofu skami

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:38:23 -0800

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 01:22:54PM -0500, Invent Yourself wrote:
> 'nirna' means things that neuron, or are neuron-like or that do what
> neurons do, which isn't restricted to Neurons. It seems that Neurons
> can go into nirna x1, but there are lo nirna that aren't Neurons.

neuron: 

1. Has dozens, sometimes hundreds of connections to other neurons.

2. Collates inbound data as an aggregate to decide whether to send
outbound data.

3. Has a wide range of physical shapes, but generally consists of a
bundle of goo attached to a long rod of goo with some feelers off the
end of the rod.

4. Conists mostly of carbon, with some nitrogen, oxygen, and other
trace elements.

I believe those are all the major necessary and sufficient features of a
neuron.

Not a *SINGLE* *ONE* of those points applies to an ethernet cable, a
fiber optice cable, a small number of networked computers, or a sigle
computer data switch.

NONE OF THEM. NOT ONE.

You could argue that point #1 matches a sufficiently large group of
computer switches, but that's *it*.

Neurons pass data in a way that is *fundamentally* different from every
network structure that humans have ever built, unless you count
experimental devices whose sole purpose is to emulate neurons.

They are not compatible in any way, and if you think they are, I'd say
the burden of proof is on you.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi