Subject: [lojban] Re: spofu skami

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:54:01 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Jordan DeLong wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 06:08:41PM -0500, Robert LeChevalier wrote:
> > At 10:50 AM 3/13/03 -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > >> Instead of looking at the differences, you might look at the
> > >> similarities.
> > >
> > >*WHAT* similarities?!? Nerves collect data, collate it, and push it to
> > >other things *just* *like* *them*.
> [...]
> > >Yes, some of that was hyperbole, but far from all of it.
> > >
> > >And you wonder why I'm concerned about polysemy in this case. Yeesh.
> >
> > There is no polysemy. Polysemy in natural language usually comes about
> > when words evolve in multiple directions and the original connection
> > between them is lost or forgotten. Keepiong gismu broad in meaning and
> > using lujvo to do the evolved meanings should prevent much polysemy.
>
> If nirna can mean both a phone and an optic cable, it is clearly
> polysemous.

Likewise with gerku, chihuahua, and basenji. Do they bark, or not????

-- 
"This is an example of what elections should be, with 97 percent
participation, free of money and corruption and totally transparent,"
Cuban Vice President Carlos Lage told Reuters.