Subject: [lojban] Re: [lojban.org #92] Re: Your lujvo records in Jbovlaste

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:08:04 -0800

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 03:25:08PM -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Sunday 16 March 2003 15:02, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > The only thing that might have changed this is if people insisted
> > that that natlang words to lojban words should be a 1-to-many
> > mapping, and as both Nick and lojbab agree that breaking up the
> > polysemy of english words solves that problem, as far as I'm
> > concerned jbovlaste is essentially done. Barring bugfixes of
> > course.
> 
> Actually it doesn't, because most English nouns and adjectives are
> translated by brivla (verbs), and there may be more than one
> appropriate brivla, with different place structure, for a sense of a
> noun. 

You are aware that you are the *only* person at this point who feels
this way, right?

> For example, "element;chemical" may be translated as zo selratni fa'u
> zo cmuxu'i fa'u zo xu'icmu, depending on whether you're talking about
> its isotopes, its purity, or its compounds. The way around that is to
> put "see also"s in the lojban->natlang defs, as in the gimste.

No, the way around that is to recognize the place sturcture differences
and change your natlang words:

chemical element;atomic structure
chemical element;composition
chemical element;compounds

Or whatever.

> There are also synonyms resulting from using 3-letter vs. 4-letter
> rafsi when making a type-3 fu'ivla. You could say "gejrdauko" or
> "genjrdauko", and I don't carrot all which one you use. This can be
> handled the same way.

OK.

Here's what I'll do for you.

If anyone else thinks this is important, and no-one gives me a really
good reason not to, I am willing to add a Notes field to the natlang
words, which will do the same {} interpretation as the Notes field for
valsi.

That's as far as I'm willing to go.

Something I don't think you understand: if I *was* convinced of the need
for a 1-many mapping, it would probably take something on the order of
*forty* *hours* of my time to re-do jbovlaste. For that, I'd need a
*REALLY* good reason.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi