Subject: [lojban] Re: [lojban.org #92] Re: Your lujvo records in Jbovlaste

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:41:46 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 03:25:08PM -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 March 2003 15:02, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > > The only thing that might have changed this is if people insisted
> > > that that natlang words to lojban words should be a 1-to-many
> > > mapping, and as both Nick and lojbab agree that breaking up the
> > > polysemy of english words solves that problem, as far as I'm
> > > concerned jbovlaste is essentially done. Barring bugfixes of
> > > course.
> >
> > Actually it doesn't, because most English nouns and adjectives are
> > translated by brivla (verbs), and there may be more than one
> > appropriate brivla, with different place structure, for a sense of a
> > noun.
>
> You are aware that you are the *only* person at this point who feels
> this way, right?

I've read the above text several times and I don't understand the
controversy. I read Pierre to be saying that one English word might map to
completely different brivla. A better example than "chemical element"
might be "blow"; "a blow" and "to blow" are completely different. But
somehow I don't think this is what you're all talking about.

-- 
"This is an example of what elections should be, with 97 percent
participation, free of money and corruption and totally transparent,"
Cuban Vice President Carlos Lage told Reuters.