Subject: [lojban] Re: bakykakpa

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 23:40:17 -0500

At 08:57 PM 3/21/03 -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>On Friday 21 March 2003 20:36, Nora LeChevalier wrote:
> > At 08:11 PM 3/21/03 -0500, Pierre wrote:
> > >Actually I think that "to plow a furrow" would be better expressed by
> > >{lijykakpa} - which of course also applies to digging a ditch or making
> > > the groove in a record. One might also xirkakpa or xaslykakpa, though one
> > > should not bakyjoixaslykakpa.
> >
> > Ummm. Am I missing something? If you're trying for "plow", isn't "plixa"
> > more appropriate?
>
>Hm. I hadn't noticed that. If that gismu is in the list, why is 
>{bakykakpa} in
>NORALUJV?

Because someone else at some point in time ALSO didn't look in the gismu 
list and coined the word.

The words in NORALUJV merely include everything that I could find usage of 
up to some date, with no implication that they mean anything (indeed some 
could be other-language text that appears to be a valid lojban 
word). Those words with higher usage numbers in the first couple of 
columns are most likely to be valid words (or obvious English words). But 
no one has ever done any simple checks to see that the words all *should* 
mean something. That is why ages ago I was asking for people to keyword 
the whole list first, because that would allow us to weed out words that 
might mean nothing ("stage-copulate" aka "single", for example, was in 
there at one point, but I think I deleted it as obviously not a real lojban 
coining - not that someone might not be able to come up with a definition 
for it %^)

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org