Subject: Re: [lojban] Alice proofreading

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:45:49 +0000

la greg cusku di'e

>I've decided the best way for me to learn lojban is to read Alice.

ui Thanks for the comments.

>pamo'o
>Alice falls down a well: la alis farlu fo lo mutce condi jinto. A jinto is
>something that is a source of some liquid. It certainly isn't a vertical
>shaft. How about {rajytu'u}

How about {jintyke'a}? A well is a hole in the ground to reach
water, to reach a jinto.

>I don't know how to translate "cupboard", but I'm not impressed by "kabri
>tanxe"

{kabri vasru}? I don't particularly like {kabri tanxe} either,
but I can't find anything better.

>why does Alice say {*uo* mi na ba xanka sa'a li'o} I don't get what uo
>means. At first I thought she had reached the end of her fall, but that's
>not the case.

I don't know, it seemed to me like a completion in the sense that
she is taking stock of the situation. After the fall so far, and
what she has seen and done, she 'stops' to think. What would you
suggest she might say? She says "Well!" in English.

>After falling like this: {ba lonu farlu tai ti kei} shouldn't it be {tai
>la'edi'u}?

No, she is not referring to anything that she has just described.
She is referring to "this situation that I'm in". I think that
has to be {ti}.

>{i zu'u le cabna na matrai li'o} what is {matrai} a typo for?

matrai (mapti traji) = most appropriate

>just after there is an {i go'i} which I don't get

"Yes, that was about the right distance."

{i go'i} was meant to translate the "yes". Maybe change
to {iese'i}, "self-agreement"?

ki'e mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail