Subject: [lojban] Re: ancient clicks

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:28:51 -0500

On Sunday 23 March 2003 22:12, Steven Belknap wrote:
> There was a New York Times article last week about click languages that
> I thought might interest some people on this list. I find that I can
> distinguish at least 7 kinds of clicks: the tsk-tsk sound, the sound we
> make to horses we are riding to get them to trot, two kinds of loud
> popping sounds made by sucking and releasing the tongue from the hard
> palate, one with lips slack, the other with lips loose, a lip smacking
> noise, a kissing noise and a tooth-sucking noise. I notice that chimps
> seem to use clicks in their communication. I remember a discussion I
> had some years ago about how these sounds were to be quoted in Loglan,
> though I don't remember the details. How does lojban handle quotation
> of click languages? What of other vocalisms that are not part of speech
> in widely-spoken languages?

You can quote anything in a zoi-quote: zoi zoi iqaqa laziqikaqika zoi 
bacrynandu. What I'd like to know is, how do we call languages that have 
clicks in their names?

I thought of proposing that some accented characters be added to the alphabet, 
to be used only in names, to indicate allophones. For instance, {tcomolunmas} 
could be written with a modified 'n' to indicate, to someone not familiar 
with the name, that it's pronounced as 'ng'.