Subject: [lojban] Re: ancient clicks

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:23:46 +0000

la pier cusku di'e

>I thought of proposing that some accented characters be added to the 
>alphabet,
>to be used only in names, to indicate allophones. For instance, 
>{tcomolunmas}
>could be written with a modified 'n' to indicate, to someone not familiar
>with the name, that it's pronounced as 'ng'.

But that would mean they are no longer allophones. The 'n'
in {tcomolunmas} should be pronounced just like the 'n' in
{lunma} would be pronounced. Whichever of the allowed
allophones is used by a given speaker, they should use the
same one for both words, and which one they use should
have nothing to do with the pronunciation of the word
in the language it was borrowed from. If one wants to retain
a foreign pronunciation, one should use foreign quotes,
not a lojbanized name. I think that pronouncing fully lojbanized
words according to the original of the borrowing would sound
wrong and affected.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail