Subject: Korean word for Lojban (was Re: Newbie)

From: "sshiskom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 06:55:22 -0000

Pierre Abbat wrote:

> By the way, we're compiling a dictionary at
> http://www.lojban.org/jbovlaste/
> Would you like to add some Korean words to it? If you have
> questions on how to coin a word, ask any of us lexicographers
> or the list.

I visited Jbovlaste, and emailed Jay Kominek to get an account.
So now I wait for a reply. {.ui}

By the way, I scanned from pages to pages, and I found that
Korean word for "Lojban" is needed. (When I saw a real name for
Korean language, ÇÑ±¹¾î, I was quite impressed.)

But there is no such word now, since Lojban is not very widely
known (or, for that matter, narrowly known) in Korea.

So, what should I do? If you don't want to know how I arrived
at conclusion, scroll down.

----

National Academy of Korean Language
http://www.korean.go.kr/
has nice simple pages
http://www.korean.go.kr/search/grammar/rule/grammar.html
about standard Korean language regulations.

(Of course, Ministry of Culture and Tourism, (previously
Ministry of Culture and Education) whose site is at
http://www.mct.go.kr/
who made all those regulations, also has pages about them,
but they are full of javascripts and floating menus. In general,
Korean government sites don't care at all about non-Explorer
browsers. {.uinai})

Among those regulations is "Loanword Transcription" (MCT 85-11).
It contains transcription tables for twelve languages and
transcription guides for fifteen languages. Of course, Lojban
is not among them. {.uenai} But it also has a transcription table
for IPA symbols. (Chapter 2, Table 1)

According to Lojban Reference Grammar, Chapter 3,
http://www.lojban.org/publications/reference_grammar/chapter3.html
{lojban.} is pronounced [loZban]. But what is this?

I assumed it to be in SAMPA, an IPA-ASCII system. (I think this
should be clear) So it is [lo&#658;ban], and by applying the table,
we get ·ÎÁö¹Ý.

For SAMPA I read:
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm
For IPA and IPA in Unicode:
http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/ipa.html
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-unicode.htm

----

So it is ·ÎÁö¹Ý. But as you see, "Loanword Transcription" table
is not of one-to-one correspondence. ·ÎÁö¹Ý can be a transcription
of {loziban}, {lodjiban}, or {lodziban}.

I personally prefer it to be ·ÎÁã¹Ý, so that {jy.} and {zy.}
would be distinct. But if I want my opinion to be accepted, I fear
I should write something similar to Reference Grammar, Chapter 3,
Section 12, which suggests Cyrillic and Tengwar orthography.

More on that later. But you may expect to see a draft of Lojban
Hangeul orthography in a few days.

-- sshiskom