Subject: [lojban] Re: Alice proofreading

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:30:41 -0800

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 07:40:50PM +0100, G. Dyke wrote:
> I've decided the best way for me to learn lojban is to read Alice.

I am also reading it.

> pamo'o Alice falls down a well: la alis farlu fo lo mutce condi
> jinto. A jinto is something that is a source of some liquid. It
> certainly isn't a vertical shaft. 

It most certainly is not.

> How about {rajytu'u}

Agreed.

> I don't know how to translate "cupboard", but I'm not impressed by
> "kabri tanxe"

OMFG! I couldn't for the *life* of me figure out what that was
supposed to mean!

> why does Alice say {*uo* mi na ba xanka sa'a li'o} I don't get
> what uo means. At first I thought she had reached the end of her
> fall, but that's not the case.

Satisfaction. Think of her nodding to herself and saying "Yes.".

> After falling like this: {ba lonu farlu tai ti kei} shouldn't it
> be {tai la'edi'u}?

I suggested tai ziku, or just zi farlu in my notes (which I haven't
sent to anyone yet, in case you're wondering, xorxes.).

> {i zu'u le cabna na matrai li'o} what is {matrai} a typo for?

What makes you think that's a typo?

"On the other hand, now's a good time for..."

> just after there is an {i go'i} which I don't get

"Yes.". I think ".i .ie" would be better, myself.

> enough for now, this is tougher than I thought, although I have
> managed to impress a few people (I've printed out the first
> chapter and I've been reading it during boring lectures - with
> little help from wordlists).

Good for you!

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi