Subject: [lojban] Re: Alice proofreading

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:36:19 -0800

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 03:45:49PM +0000, Jorge Llambias wrote:
> la greg cusku di'e
> >Alice falls down a well: la alis farlu fo lo mutce condi jinto. A
> >jinto is something that is a source of some liquid. It certainly
> >isn't a vertical shaft. How about {rajytu'u}
> 
> How about {jintyke'a}? A well is a hole in the ground to reach
> water, to reach a jinto.

That may be, but *jinto* is not a hole necessarily:

jinto well
x1 is a well/spring of fluid x2 at location x3

A spring need not be in the ground. Use zo tubnu .a zo kevna .a zo
sraji, please.

> >I don't know how to translate "cupboard", but I'm not impressed
> >by "kabri tanxe"
> 
> {kabri vasru}? I don't particularly like {kabri tanxe} either, but
> I can't find anything better.

Oh, kabri vasru is *much* better. Although for this one I think
it's fu'ivla time, as in my world cupboards rarely hold cups...

What about kajna?

> >why does Alice say {*uo* mi na ba xanka sa'a li'o} I don't get
> >what uo means. At first I thought she had reached the end of her
> >fall, but that's not the case.
> 
> I don't know, it seemed to me like a completion in the sense that
> she is taking stock of the situation. After the fall so far, and
> what she has seen and done, she 'stops' to think. What would you
> suggest she might say? She says "Well!" in English.

Agreed.

> >After falling like this: {ba lonu farlu tai ti kei} shouldn't it be {tai
> >la'edi'u}?
> 
> No, she is not referring to anything that she has just described.
> She is referring to "this situation that I'm in". I think that has
> to be {ti}.

ti is something you point at. You don't point at situations.
What's wrong with lo nu zi farlu?

> >just after there is an {i go'i} which I don't get
> 
> "Yes, that was about the right distance."
> 
> {i go'i} was meant to translate the "yes". Maybe change
> to {iese'i}, "self-agreement"?

Please.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi