Subject: BPFK open for business

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 01:41:50 +1100

Not before time, the BPFK is hereby open for business.

There are two fora where BPFK work will be done. One is the TWiki 
(http://www.lojban.com/cgi-bin/twiki/view/BPFK/WebHome); the other is 
the phpbb discussion forum (http://www.lojban.org/phpbb/).

In executive summary: I have divided up the cmavo of Lojban into 
paradigms. One person (the "shepherd") will take on the job of 
documenting everything there is to document about the paradigm (or 
administer delegating it), and writes their findings, and proposed 
definitions, on the Twiki. The same will happen for any broader 
grammatical issues. The debate (in formal, point-counterpoint terms) 
happens on the phpbb. There are polls conducted on the issues, back 
on the Twiki, until consensus is reached. If two or more commission 
members reject a proposal, the shepherd needs to water the proposal 
down until it is broadly accepted.

I have written a monsterpiece guidelines on how I want business 
transacted on the BPFK on 
http://www.lojban.com/cgi-bin/twiki/view/BPFK/GuidelinesForUsing . 
It's scary and complicated, and Robin has summarised it; but do read 
it anyway. This supplements my previous statements on the BPFK,and 
the Board's.

Any further discussion on the BPFK, including meta-discussion, 
belongs on the phpbb board -- in particular, in the forum "Varia: 
Administrative Issues". The board is open for viewing *and* posting 
by all members of the community. Votes in the polls are only open to 
commission members, however.

All commission members, please register as users on both the phpbb 
and the Twiki.

If you are a commission member (or self-nominated observer) and did 
not get this through the bpfk-announce list, please let me know.

Two side issues. One: there shall be a Morphology Commission to 
oversee work on the morphology. It shall be chaired by Nora 
LeChevalier, and in the first instance will also have Lionel Vidal 
and Pierre Abbat as members. Nora will not begin work on the 
commission until she has discharged her duties as secretary of the 
LLG; but relax: we're not going anywhere.

Two: those of you who had a hankering for translating Google into 
Lojban --- there's a new project if you want it: phpbb can be 
translated into Lojban too. See 
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=41 if you're 
interested (and serious!) And if you're a commission member: don't 
even think of volunteering. You'll be busy enough keeping up with the 
commision work.

This will be tough, and may Jeeg and Talen have mercy on us all.

mi'e nitcion noi jatna bypyfyky.
-- 
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
* Dr Nick Nicholas, French & Italian Studies [email-masked] *
Rm 637 Arts Centre, Melbourne University, Australia www.opoudjis.net
* "Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity of locutional rendering, the *
circumscriptional appelations are excised." --- W. Mann & S. Thompson,
* _Rhetorical Structure Theory: A Theory of Text Organisation_, 1987. *
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****