Subject: [lojban] Re: Alice proofreading

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:04:49 -0800

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:46:12PM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell scripsit:
> 
> > Except not; bookshelves are not normally enclosed.
> > 
> > This is, AFAIK, the primary difference between the two.
> 
> The cupboards in my house had (until two decades ago) no doors. I
> think cupboards are defined by their contents: eating utensils, if
> not otherwise qualified.

>>From dictionary.com:

cupboard

\Cup"board\ (k[u^]b"b[~e]rd), n. [Cup + board.] 1. A board or shelf
for cups and dishes. [Obs.] --Bacon.

2. A small closet in a room, with shelves to receive cups, dishes,
food, etc.; hence, any small closet.

cup·board P Pronunciation Key (kbrd)
n.

A closet or cabinet, usually with shelves for storing food,
crockery, and utensils.

cab·i·net P Pronunciation Key (kb-nt)
n.

An upright, cupboardlike repository with shelves, drawers, or
compartments for the safekeeping or display of objects.

cabinet

adj 1: relating to or used in making cabinets; "cabinet wood" 2:
relating to or being a member of a governmental cabinet; "cabinet
matters"; "a cabinet minister" n 1: a cupboard-like repository or
piece of furniture with doors and shelves and drawers; for storage
or display 2: persons appointed by a head of state to head executive
departments of government and act as official advisers 3: a storage
compartment for clothes and valuables; usually it has a lock [syn:
locker, storage locker] 4: housing for electronic instruments, as
radio or television [syn: console]

Seems like I'm closer to being correct than you are, from that
evidence, but it's hardly clear.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi