Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Another major jbovlaste update.

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:13:20 +1000

On Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003, at 06:06 Australia/Melbourne, Robin Lee 
Powell wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 01:56:18PM -0500, Rob Speer wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 07:10:44AM -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>>> On Tuesday 11 March 2003 06:38, Arnt Richard Johansen wrote:
>>>> Although I do think that many of the natlang words should not be
>>>> voted on at all. Having lots of entries like "butter source" and
>>>> "goodness standard" in the dictionary would be rather inane, IMAO.
>>>
>>> I don't think it's wrong to have "butter source" in the dictionary,
>>> but a lot of the definitions of attitudinals are wrong. {ii}, for
>>> instance, should not be translated "fear". It's something you say
>>> when you're afraid, not something you say to talk about fear.
>>> Similarly, cruelty is kamkusru, not uunai.

'cruelty' should indeed take you to kamkusru (well, kusru. really, but 
that's another issue); but I find it hard to believe that the glosses 
of attitudinals will not include the associated English abstract nouns 
as well.

>> I think that most oblique places like "butter source" _should_ be left
>> out. Unless it's a point of pride to be the only dictionary in
>> existence with an entry for "thing having gonad".
>
> They should all be in jbovlaste.
>
> Weeding out the crap is the job of the dictionary editor.
>

> That being said, I suppose people can feel free to not vote on *really*
> useless keywords. But that should be Nick's call.

Tis is outrageously late, but I agree. Let the automated 'useless' x2s 
and x5s be populated in jbovlaste. It *is* a judgement call which ones 
get excised in a print dictionary, and that judgement call is to be 
made by the dictionary editor. Bearing in mind that a lot more of these 
words turn out to be useful than first thought. But jbovlaste is there 
to provide raw materials; I don't see how anyone can make the 
judgement, right now, what is and isn't a useful x5.

[][][][] [][][][][][][][][][] [][][][]
Dr Nick Nicholas. [email-masked] http://www.opoudjis.net
University of Melbourne: [email-masked]
Chiastaxo dhe to giegnissa, i dhedhato potemu,
ma ena chieri aftumeno ecratu, chisvissemu. (I Thisia tu Avraam)