Subject: [lojban] [[email-masked]: use of "agree/disagree" referring to non-existant objects]

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:26:41 -0800

I have no idea if this is spam, but I thought someone with a greater
clue than I about logic issues might enjoy responding anyways.

Just don't come crying to me if you respond to this and then get a
bunch of spam.

-Robin

----- Forwarded message from Janell Tessaro <[email-masked]> -----

Subject: use of "agree/disagree" referring to non-existant objects
From: Janell Tessaro <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Envelope-to: [email-masked]
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 21:47:15 -0800
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=1.4 required=5.0
tests=HTML_30_40,HTML_FONT_COLOR_BLUE,HTML_FONT_COLOR_RED,
RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM
version=2.50
X-Spam-Level: *
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.50 (1.173-2003-02-20-exp)

This is a long shot. I am hoping that you will take the time to
settle an argument in our office about a survey on bicycles:

There are 5 possible responses to a series of statements about the
public use of bicycles:

strongly agree
agree
disagree
strongly disagree
don't know

All respondents, whether or not they have indicated earlier in the
survey that they do not own a bicycle, are required to select one of
the above responses in reaction to the statement:

"I would like to be able to take my bicycle onto more public
busses."

The automatic response to date from all respondents who do not own a
bike has been: "not applicable"

The author of the survey says that "disagree" should be the obvious
response since any individual that does not have a bicycle could not
benefit from any additional accommodations on busses for bikes.

I say that the "disagree"response (+ all other choices currently
available) presumes ownership of a bicycle which does not exist, and
therefore there needs to be a N/A choice.

Who is right? Thanks in advance. Tatiana Duchamp

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi