Subject: le blima rozgu

From: "sshiskom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:48:34 -0000

---- Introduction
Hello from your newbie.

In this semester, I'm taking a course on the English poetry
(KAIST HS225). We read poems of William Blake, and his poem
"the sick rose" kinda struck me.

So here is a Lojban translation of the poem. And now I
discovered usefuuulllness of jbofi'e!

---- In English
The sick rose

O rose thou art sick
The invisible worm
That flies in the night
In the howling storm

Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy

---- bau la lojban.
le bilma rozgu ni'o

doi le rozgu do .io bilma
.i le se viska na'e kakne curnu
poi ke'a vofli ti'u le nicte
tu'i le siclu brife

cu ba'o facki le do ckana
pe le ciblu xunre nu gleki
.ije le manku je se mipri
nu prami be fa le go'i
cu ba'e daspo le do nu jmive

---- jbofi'e says
[(the (ill type-of rose))] new-topic

((O! the rose)) [(you respect!) is «being ill?
[(the (((seen type-of not capable) type-of worm))
<such-that [(it is «flying?(associated-with-time the night)
(associated-with-site the (whistling type-of wind))]>)

is «finished discovering?(the (bed) of-you
<associated-with (the ((blood type-of red) type-of <event-of
[«being 
happy?>))>)]
and [(the ((dark and secret) type-of <event-of [?(the x1-of-last-
bridi)'s loving}?>))
is «emphasize! destroying?(the <event-of [«living?>
of-you)]

---- comment
At first I thought it would be easy. I grabbed the gismu list
from the lojban.org, found all words that I thought I need, and
began. gismu I checked were:

blima, rozgu, viska, curnu, vofli, nicte, siclu, brife, facki,
ckana, xunre, gleki, manku, mipri, prami, daspo, jmive.
(ciblu is a later addition)

No, it wasn't. Especially, I realized how complicate is an
innocent-looking English phrase "his dark secret love". What I
finally arrived at is
{le manku je se mipri nu prami be fa le go'i}, but even this
I don't sure. How would you translate this phrase?

I guess I can use lujvo instead of complicated tanru. But since
I don't get there yet, I decided to contend with tanru. So,
what would be lujvo corresponding to
"invisible" {se viska na'e kakne}?

I learned by heart that {cu} is a magic word. When jbofi'e
complained, I just inserted {cu} -- I didn't use a single
terminator other than it in this translation!

-- Seo Sanghyeon