Subject: [lojban] Re: any

From: robin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:22:44 +0300

Pierre Abbat wrote:

>I found a usage of "any" that sounds odd to me:
>http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6289939%255E25460,00.html
>"The Information Ministry had long authorised any Iraqi map."
>What he means, I think, is "le datni sefkamni ze'upu crutro *ro* rakso 
>tumcartu".
>
>phma
> 
>
It sounds odd to me too. What the writer seems to mean is that all 
Iraqi maps had to authorised before they could be published. "le datni 
sefkamni ze'upu crutro *ro* rakso tumcartu" implies that the Information 
Ministry authorised every single map that was made, which is unlikely, 
if not impossible (since "ro rakso tumcartu" includes not only maps of 
Iraq made by foreigners but also any map made by any Iraqi for any 
purpose; e.g. telling friends where the party is tonight).

robin.tr

-- 
"A Perl script is "correct" if it gets the job done before your boss fires you."
- Larry Wall

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533
Turkey

www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin