Subject: [lojban] Re: any

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:51:01 -0400

>>I found a usage of "any" that sounds odd to me:
>>http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6289939%255
E25460,00.html
>>"The Information Ministry had long authorised any Iraqi map."
>>What he means, I think, is "le datni sefkamni ze'upu crutro *ro* rakso
>>tumcartu".
>>
>>phma
>>
>It sounds odd to me too. What the writer seems to mean is that all
>Iraqi maps had to authorised before they could be published. "le datni
>sefkamni ze'upu crutro *ro* rakso tumcartu" implies that the Information
>Ministry authorised every single map that was made, which is unlikely,
>if not impossible (since "ro rakso tumcartu" includes not only maps of
>Iraq made by foreigners but also any map made by any Iraqi for any
>purpose; e.g. telling friends where the party is tonight).

If it said "the information ministry had to authorize any Iraqi map", it
would imply (to me) that any Iraqi map had to be authorized by the ministry.
That would even seem normal. However, I interpret the statement as having
the same meaning, but I find it to be a strange usage. Maybe it's some
bizarre sralo thing. Nick?