Subject: [lojban] Re: any

From: "robin.bcc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:34:45 -0400

Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2003 09:22, robin wrote:
> 
>>It sounds odd to me too. What the writer seems to mean is that all
>>Iraqi maps had to authorised before they could be published. "le datni
>>sefkamni ze'upu crutro *ro* rakso tumcartu" implies that the Information
>>Ministry authorised every single map that was made, which is unlikely,
>>if not impossible (since "ro rakso tumcartu" includes not only maps of
>>Iraq made by foreigners but also any map made by any Iraqi for any
>>purpose; e.g. telling friends where the party is tonight).
> 
> 
> No, it's a tanru, so it means whatever the sayer intends, as long as the 
> referent is a map having something to do with Iraq or an Iraqi. "ro rakso 
> tumcartu" could mean "all maps showing some or all of Iraq", or "all maps 
> made by Iraqis", or "all maps owned by Iraqis", or "all maps in Iraq".

True - rather than "implies", perhaps I should have said "could be 
interpreted as". This is part of a general problem with meaning, 
reference and implication - a can of worms I won't open here (the same 
problem exists with "le" and its siblings: in one sense of "mean", "le 
ninmu" means "that which I call 'woman'" and in another it means "that 
hill that looks a bit like a woman").

robin.tr

-- 
"A Perl script is "correct" if it gets the job done before your boss 
fires you."
- Larry Wall

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533
Turkey

www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin